Sunday 19 November 2017

Small Gift Boxes

Hi folks. Thanks for waiting so patiently. Life is returning to normal now following my surgery and then a 10-day trip to Melbourne to visit with relatives (including my 89-year-old mother) and to attend Stampin' Up!'s OnStage Local. OnStage was a great day.

Anyway, more about those later. Today I want to tell you all about the small gift boxes that I've been making. I had an order from a friend (who sells hand-made jewellery at markets) for 50 Christmas boxes and I didn't think I was going to get them done in time (my friend is in Melbourne so I was taking them over when I went). But I managed to get them made and now I will show you how it's done. These are some that I made earlier this year, some using retired product.

Some floral gift boxes.

Some more of the ones I made earlier.

Equipment 

      Paper Trimmer
      Bone Folder 
      Small Scissors 
      Strong adhesive 
      Punches or Framelits/Thinlits Dies (NB A Big Shot is required for dies) 
     

Materials

          Plain cardstock 12” x 12” (for the box and drawer) 
          Patterned paper (for the front of the card)
          Plain cardstock in a light colour (for the inside of the card)
          Embellishments, as desired
      Glimmer/Foil Paper (optional)
      Ribbon (optional)
      Washi Tape (optional)
       

Method

1. Cut cardstock 3" x 12"; score at 3", 4”, 7”, 8” and 11” and fold all inwards, using the Bone Folder to ensure a crisp fold. This piece will form the box and card.
Score on the red lines

2. Cut another piece of cardstock 4⅞” x 4⅞” and score 1” in from all four edges. Fold all inwards again. This piece is for the drawer.
Again, score on the red lines

3. Using the drawer piece, cut opposite sides to make tabs, as marked in blue in the diagram below left. Then cut and remove the bits in blue in the diagram below right to taper the four tabs.
         
Cut on the blue lines
Cut the Vs and remove the blue pieces

4. Fold the sides up and tuck the four tabs inside the drawer. Adhere them with Fast Fuse. Punch out a circle (the pictured one is 1¾"), fold it in half and attach it to the front of the drawer.

I usually use the same DSP for the circle as the one on the front of the box

5. Using the larger piece of cardstock, adhere the first 1” tab to the other 1” area to form a box with a card front as shown below.


6. Cut a piece of DSP 2¾” x 2¾” for the front of the card, and a piece of plain cardstock for the inside of the card. Decorate the front and inside of the card as desired.  You may find it easier to adhere these front panel and the inside panel before your form the box. Just fold the box so you know where to place the panels. The drawer is great for small gift items like jewellery or a treat, like lollies.
These two boxes show how they look closed and open.
Use a strip of DSP or Washi Tape as a highlight inside.

8. OPTIONAL: Cut a piece of ribbon about 20" long and glue it to the top of the box prior to adhering the plain cardstock. This allows you to tie a bow in the front of the drawer.
Place the centre of the ribbon at the centre of the BACK of the drawer
These are some that I made a couple of years ago, with bows

Here are the ones I made this year for my friend, 


Close ups of some of the Christmas ones I made.


I used the Starburst Punch for the large circular backgrounds, and other punches for the focal piece. On some I used the Pinwheels that I'd made earlier.

So, that's it. They look a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of them they are quite quick to put together. To make the 50 boxes I cut out all of the cardstock and patterned paper first, then punched out the pieces I thought I'd use, matched to the paper if possible, and then put them all together in a production line. 

The pinwheel tutorial will follow soon. Thanks for reading.



4 comments:

  1. Wow Ellen, you do things in Huge lots. I love them all. Thanks for the Tutorial I love making boxes. I have been sitting watching Sam Hammond (Pootles) as she makes awesome boxes too.
    I see you have made one with the Chick with crazy feathered Hair lol. I am in the middle of panning out a Special 10 year Anniversary Card for a Customer with this Chick, no way will I sell this Stamp Set. I will have to have a go at these beauties. Thanks for the Tutorial and Inspiration too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. I love the crazy hair chicken as well, lol. Let me know if you have any problems with the boxes. They're pretty straightforward but I nmay not have explained them well, haha.

      Delete