Sunday 21 July 2019

Butterfly Cards


I've been busy of late making some butterfly cards for DEBRA Australia. 



From their website: "DEBRA Australia is a not for profit volunteer based organisation that does not receive any direct Government funding and works tirelessly to support those living with a group of rare skin blistering disease called Epidermolysis Bullosa (EB). DEBRA Austrlia assists in improving the lives of children and adults living with EB, the debilitating and sometimes fatal condition by providing necessary support services, medical supple, aids and equipment, support services, assistance with transition to independent living and research focusing on different aspects of EB". You can read more about the disease and DEBRA on their website: https://www.debra.org.au/


Because the children's skin is so fragile, they are often referred to as 'butterfly children' and DEBRA uses a butterfly as their logo. My daughter, Amber, attended a fundraiser for them some time ago and, in speaking with the staff, discovered that they regularly send thank you cards to donors and sponsors, and general cards to families to keep spirits up. Amber asked me if I'd like to make some butterfly cards for them, so I did. They were gratefully received and so I continued to make more for them from time to time. I was even asked to make some sets of 'regular' cards for them to include in their silent auctions and was happy to do so on a couple of occasions.

One of the packs of cards for DEBRA's silent auction.

Earlier this year, Stampin' Up! released a pack of Designer Series Paper called "Botanical Butterfly". This pack was free with purchases during Sale-A-Bration and as soon as I saw it I thought of using it to make cards for DEBRA. I made sure to get an extra pack for this purpose and it's what I have been using to make these cards. It is, of course, now retired.

Many of the cards I've been making were fairly simple and straightforward, simply cut the DSP and mats, place them onto cards, and add some labels.



Others required a little more effort as I coloured a single butterfly on black and white paper.



I have really enjoyed making the cards and will have around 40 to send off when they're all done. I have made all of the cards and just need to add labels on the last lot.

If you'd like to make some butterfly cards to donate to DEBRA too, please come and join the Facebook group, Butterfly Cards for DEBRA. 

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment